prayerletters galleries teaching nivky uec links our blog internship

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Back at the Fort

Today Lena went to Zhitomir to help with Polina. That left me to myself for the day. Wonder what trouble I got into? My primary job during the day was to withdraw enough money from ATMs to pay for our vacation. Though the first attempt was unsuccessful, I was off and running with lots of hryvnya in an envelope in the plastic shopping bag I sport often. I showed up at the travel agent’s downtown and was a little miffed that the agent I dealt with wasn’t there even though I told her I was coming. They were trying to figure out how to communicate with me since they thought I didn’t speak Russian (how could a foreigner ever speak Russian, anyway?). I asked where she was and in sign language they told me she left. One lady asked the other who responded in Russian with: “Ah, she went for a walk. Who knows when she will be back?”

I was then told in very simple Russian with a little English thrown in that she would be back soon. I asked when since often “soon” in Ukraine can mean an hour or longer—or never. I was told that she was the director, she had a lot of important things to do and many documents to process and that she would return. Knowing I was being lied to, I grew a little more irritated. They tried calling her on her mobile but the ringing noise coming from her desk was a bad portent. The other lady started to help me but I was reluctant to deal with her.

Finally, the agent arrived and we got down to business. She then began a series of minor tricks to get more money out of me. She used a slightly different exchange rate than the day before when Lena was there. When I questioned her, she told me I could go exchange the money myself for the same rate if I wanted. She then told me that the mysterious $5-per person fee that she forgot to charge us for yesterday would not be charged, a little discount for us. As I grew frustrated, I knew I just had to get out of there.

I then asked for some kind of proof that I had just handed over a big wad of money. “Oh, of course.” She commenced to hand write a statement that I had given her a certain sum of money for a trip to Egypt. No receipts in this place. I just hope we get our plane tickets next week. Our flight is supposed to leave at 5.00AM for Egypt. Ouch.

This evening I prepared a small meal for a meeting with two church members. Though one person was late, it wasn’t too late to enjoy the boiled corn, mashed potatoes, fried chicken, peaches, and grapes. We had a pleasant enough time. Lena came back very late and went almost straight to bed. Another day of meetings tomorrow with more church members.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home