prayerletters galleries teaching nivky uec links our blog internship

Saturday, September 17, 2005

One Fine Day

Today we had a day off. Lena met with her spiritual training group at the UEC. We have been closed so far on Saturdays this fall but some groups have been meeting there. Another group was meeting there this morning as well. Then, we went to check out the Christian bookstore in Kyiv, the biggest one at least. We ate lunch at nearby Domashnya Kukhnya. It was terrible. They had one person serving all the food except soup. The young woman serving soup refused (or possibly was not supposed to) to help out, people starting yelling, so I took whatever I could get. It was very cold and the soup was very watered down. A genuine disappointment. And no Diet Coke to beat the band.

We came back for Lena to read a little on the latest Harry Potter book--someone donated it to the Center this week. I idled around and finally decided to cook dinner. We had a meeting at the UEC at 7.00, so I just decided to cook for everyone. We had some baked chicken with thyme, mashed potatoes covered in cheese, and the traditional summer salad. Again, no Diet Coke though.

The meetings went pretty well. We got a little better organized about our combined cell meetings and hope to now be able to involve more people. The student night committee met and I think they were able to come to some decisions.

We then watched some crazy boxing movie that ended with euthanasia. Not exactly how I expected to end the week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean "Million Dollar Baby" that got all the Oscars last year? I didn't watch it -- I really have to be selective with the limited movie time budget. Ken watched it on the airplane coming back from Paris. I chose (we had personal DVD service)French "A Very Long Engagement" -- a very appropriate way to end a Paris weekend.

So the chicken was like roasted whole? Yum! And can you get thyme easily in Kyiv now? It's my favorite herb. What other herbs are available?

3:06 AM  
Blogger Kyivmission said...

Yes, it was Million Dollar Baby. I just didn't like how they dumped a political religious issue like euthanasia right into the middle of a pretty good film.

I roasted "okorochok". There are lots of spices in Kyiv now. Thyme, all the Italian spices, and some things I'm not sure what they are. I need to get back to cooking more--my strained shoulder just doesn't like carrying all those heavy plastic bags long distances. Take care ---Chris

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home