I cranked out another newsletter last night. Thankfully, the Google list is working, the email addresses have been corrected, and I think people get it. I don't really like this program since I can't change the font or add pictures but it's the only thing that works and it's free. I looked at some free programs but they were just too complicated for me. We are also about to print the UEC's newsletter for the summer. I am proud of the work Lera has done. Thought the improvements are small, I think the newsletter will look more professional.
Today the refrigerator guy changed the plug so we should manage to rearrange the furniture soon and get that thing working. We have such a small office it's hard to cram everything in there. And since 6 people use it as office space, it gets rather cozy. We also bought some plants for the UEC today and I did some re-potting.
We went in search of glasses today. Eye glasses, that is. We went back to the place where the repair guy tried to make me feel guilty for breaking my glasses. But this place on Kreshatik had a lot of frames. And the middle-aged sales woman was pretty helpful and almost immediately suggested a $350 Italian frame. We declined but found something substantially cheaper. After her reassurances that the glasses would be ready in an hour, we walked around and ate lunch. They were ready. She handed me the glasses in a case and said, "There you go. Thanks." No fitting. No trying them on. No adjusting. No pleasant discussion about how best to clean them. So of course they didn't fit exactly and needed adjustment. And since the correction had changed some, my optic nerve was very confused and I could barely see straight. Lena asked if she would not adjust them and she just told us to go see the repair guy. In her mind, since they had been done according to the measurements on the piece of paper, they had to fit. If they didn't, probably I had done something to cause my head to swell or nose to expand to cause the problem. It's always the customer's fault! I, of course, couldn't believe I had to go back to this maniacal repair guy. Fortunately, it was a different guy. He wasn't very helpful at adjusting them though and they still don't really fit. Still in search of appropriately fitting eyewear.
Polina, Lena's niece, began to eat salo today. Salo is Ukrainian pig fat. They've also begun some remont (refurbishment) on their apartment so that has all Zhytomir in something of an uproar.
Lena requested hamburgers for supper tonight. I was a little taken back. Rarely do we cook just a pure American meal. Usually there is some odd combination of European, Ukrainian, American, whatever we can find meal. I guess it had been many years since I cooked hamburgers. I think the last time was with Donnie Freeman in Cherkassy. They were pretty good. Added a little barbecue sauce to the mix.
In other news, the Hindenberg is about to take off. It looks like the president is going to agree to his old arch rival to be the prime minister. It's sort of like Batman replacing Robin with the Penguin guy (what was his name?). Anyway, I am pretty sick about the whole thing. If you remember, it was the treachery of the Socialist party leader that caused this whole mess. Today, Lutsenko (the head of the old KGB in Ukraine and a leading Socialist) announced that he will form a new party and I hope every single Socialist joins it. I really like Lutsenko and as much as I admire Tymoshenko as a politician, I think Lutsenko would make a great president. He really has an eye out for fighting corruption. Not perfect, but I appreciated him during the Orange Revolution and hope their new party just buries the Socialists. I'm not bitter, or anything. :)
Today the refrigerator guy changed the plug so we should manage to rearrange the furniture soon and get that thing working. We have such a small office it's hard to cram everything in there. And since 6 people use it as office space, it gets rather cozy. We also bought some plants for the UEC today and I did some re-potting.
We went in search of glasses today. Eye glasses, that is. We went back to the place where the repair guy tried to make me feel guilty for breaking my glasses. But this place on Kreshatik had a lot of frames. And the middle-aged sales woman was pretty helpful and almost immediately suggested a $350 Italian frame. We declined but found something substantially cheaper. After her reassurances that the glasses would be ready in an hour, we walked around and ate lunch. They were ready. She handed me the glasses in a case and said, "There you go. Thanks." No fitting. No trying them on. No adjusting. No pleasant discussion about how best to clean them. So of course they didn't fit exactly and needed adjustment. And since the correction had changed some, my optic nerve was very confused and I could barely see straight. Lena asked if she would not adjust them and she just told us to go see the repair guy. In her mind, since they had been done according to the measurements on the piece of paper, they had to fit. If they didn't, probably I had done something to cause my head to swell or nose to expand to cause the problem. It's always the customer's fault! I, of course, couldn't believe I had to go back to this maniacal repair guy. Fortunately, it was a different guy. He wasn't very helpful at adjusting them though and they still don't really fit. Still in search of appropriately fitting eyewear.
Polina, Lena's niece, began to eat salo today. Salo is Ukrainian pig fat. They've also begun some remont (refurbishment) on their apartment so that has all Zhytomir in something of an uproar.
Lena requested hamburgers for supper tonight. I was a little taken back. Rarely do we cook just a pure American meal. Usually there is some odd combination of European, Ukrainian, American, whatever we can find meal. I guess it had been many years since I cooked hamburgers. I think the last time was with Donnie Freeman in Cherkassy. They were pretty good. Added a little barbecue sauce to the mix.
In other news, the Hindenberg is about to take off. It looks like the president is going to agree to his old arch rival to be the prime minister. It's sort of like Batman replacing Robin with the Penguin guy (what was his name?). Anyway, I am pretty sick about the whole thing. If you remember, it was the treachery of the Socialist party leader that caused this whole mess. Today, Lutsenko (the head of the old KGB in Ukraine and a leading Socialist) announced that he will form a new party and I hope every single Socialist joins it. I really like Lutsenko and as much as I admire Tymoshenko as a politician, I think Lutsenko would make a great president. He really has an eye out for fighting corruption. Not perfect, but I appreciated him during the Orange Revolution and hope their new party just buries the Socialists. I'm not bitter, or anything. :)
1 Comments:
The Penguin guy is named "Penguin." He was played by Danny DeVito in Batman Returns, and is mostly seen these days in John Stewart's impression of Dick Cheney.
Victoria already said so, but I feel awful for your maltreatment. I haven't had time to read or write blogs lately, largely because my laptop's been on the fritz, so this morning I kind of had to take in all the wackiness in your life at one time. I'm verklempt.
Post a Comment
<< Home