Weekend Eating
Saturday morning we hosted the weekly prayer meeting. Only 6 were able to come this week (lots of traveling about during the summer), but they missed the blueberry pancakes I made with blueberries from Zhytomir. All organic here in Ukraine!! They were pretty good but the texture was not quite what I was looking for. Any suggestions on a blueberry pancake recipe? Anybody ever made pancakes with bananas? That was requested but I am not sure where to go with that.
We did have a great prayer meeting. We actually prayed for a long time!! I have found that one of the hardest things in the world is to stop talking to each other and start talking to the LORD.
Sunday night I made barbecue. It turned out to be more like a big pork chop. Guess the wrong cut of meat. Last Friday, when were shopping for the UEC, the store had Heinz barbecue sauce. I was delighted. It was the first spotting of that sort in Ukraine ever!
I preached Sunday morning on the parable of the lost sheep. I must recommend a book on Luke's parables--a combined volume Poet and Peasant and Through Peasant Eyes: A Literary-Cultural Approach to the Parables. I find most commentaries on the Bible about the dullest thing one could read. The readings are usually so microscopic or simply don't say anything that made it worth reading the commentary. This book, though, actually has something to add. The literary analysis is somewhat annoying, at least it's useless for preaching. But the cultural stuff is fabulous.
Sunday after church we went downtown because one of the lenses from my glasses popped out during the prayer request time. We did find a place to fix them. As soon as we handed them to the guy, he somehow broke one of the arms but claimed that he didn't do it. Then, he kept telling me that I sat on my glasses and that was the problem. Somehow, in his mind, it helped the situation by trying to make me feel bad for damaging my glasses. He called me into his little repair closet once just to sort of pantomime sitting on glasses so that I would understand that was the problem. He didn't realize I speak Russian. This sort of thing happens all the time if you need help. He did put the lens back in but now I have to find a new arm (or whatever it's called). The one he replaced the broken one with is barely hanging on. I just had to get out of there or I thought I would hit the guy. Or maybe sit on him. Now my glasses are crooked. Maybe if I sit on them again, they will straighten out.
After repairing the glasses, we walked over to Maidan. Yulia Tymoshenko has put up a stage and there are hundreds of her flags all over the central square. Here's a webcamera or here if you want to see what is happening now at Maidan. I guess the showdown is coming this week. Yushchenko said today that he would give the parliament till July 25 to get its act together and form a government. Then, the top diplomat in Ukraine, Taras Tarasyuk, claimed that the president's party Nasha Ukraina could not go into the opposition and he didn't see a problem with forming a coalition with the Party of the Regions--but only the Party of the Regions. I guess he likes flying over all the world and wants to keep his job. Actually, I think he is quite good for Ukraine and was the one who got rid of visas for Europeans and US citizens. But now, I am not so impressed.
We did have a great prayer meeting. We actually prayed for a long time!! I have found that one of the hardest things in the world is to stop talking to each other and start talking to the LORD.
Sunday night I made barbecue. It turned out to be more like a big pork chop. Guess the wrong cut of meat. Last Friday, when were shopping for the UEC, the store had Heinz barbecue sauce. I was delighted. It was the first spotting of that sort in Ukraine ever!
I preached Sunday morning on the parable of the lost sheep. I must recommend a book on Luke's parables--a combined volume Poet and Peasant and Through Peasant Eyes: A Literary-Cultural Approach to the Parables. I find most commentaries on the Bible about the dullest thing one could read. The readings are usually so microscopic or simply don't say anything that made it worth reading the commentary. This book, though, actually has something to add. The literary analysis is somewhat annoying, at least it's useless for preaching. But the cultural stuff is fabulous.
Sunday after church we went downtown because one of the lenses from my glasses popped out during the prayer request time. We did find a place to fix them. As soon as we handed them to the guy, he somehow broke one of the arms but claimed that he didn't do it. Then, he kept telling me that I sat on my glasses and that was the problem. Somehow, in his mind, it helped the situation by trying to make me feel bad for damaging my glasses. He called me into his little repair closet once just to sort of pantomime sitting on glasses so that I would understand that was the problem. He didn't realize I speak Russian. This sort of thing happens all the time if you need help. He did put the lens back in but now I have to find a new arm (or whatever it's called). The one he replaced the broken one with is barely hanging on. I just had to get out of there or I thought I would hit the guy. Or maybe sit on him. Now my glasses are crooked. Maybe if I sit on them again, they will straighten out.
After repairing the glasses, we walked over to Maidan. Yulia Tymoshenko has put up a stage and there are hundreds of her flags all over the central square. Here's a webcamera or here if you want to see what is happening now at Maidan. I guess the showdown is coming this week. Yushchenko said today that he would give the parliament till July 25 to get its act together and form a government. Then, the top diplomat in Ukraine, Taras Tarasyuk, claimed that the president's party Nasha Ukraina could not go into the opposition and he didn't see a problem with forming a coalition with the Party of the Regions--but only the Party of the Regions. I guess he likes flying over all the world and wants to keep his job. Actually, I think he is quite good for Ukraine and was the one who got rid of visas for Europeans and US citizens. But now, I am not so impressed.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home