prayerletters galleries teaching nivky uec links our blog internship

Monday, August 27, 2007

In Abilene

Lena and I have actually made it to Abilene and have spent two nights in our apartment, crammed packed full of unpacked boxes. Judy has helped us immensely as we settled in over the weekend, fed us, served as tour guide, networker. She and her son Keylin helped put together one piece of furniture too. We went to church with them on Sunday and Lena got one job lead there. I think there will be a lot of possibilities before the right thing comes along. After church, we ate with Joe and Keylin and it was great to remember some of the shared experiences when Joe was in Kyiv. Sunday evening we spent time with Emily, another ACU grad student, who is married to Vadim who is from Ukraine. He is also an ACU graduate student. Then we met their neighbords, Natasha and Denice (Dennis), who are from Russia. He is also studying at ACU. We discussed in Russian with Natasha how she figured out how to make tvorog the American way. We stood outside with the West Texas sun sinking low, enjoying a little Russian conversation. Then, on to the grocery store to fill our shkaf.

Today we went to ACU. I am changing a few things with my schedule, so I am not sure how it is going to turn out. I have my first class in two hours--Prophetic Literature of the Old Testament.

It's hot here too. Nice--at times. More comments on West Texas after we have had time to acclimate.

I think we are doing well. It was refreshing to be in the church on Sunday. Several parts of the service reminded Lena and me that God is in control; life is all of his grace and mercy. There is little we can do of our own merit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Chris and Lena,
Welcome to Abilene - the land of spectacular sunsets! Greg and I are so glad that you have "landed" and can enjoy some time setting up home and having the predictable schedule of classes for a while. Take it easy on yourselves - now is the time for relaxing every moment you can steal. Let us know if we can help in any way, ~ Greg & Jana

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home