No Energy to Think of Title
Sunday night we came back from Huntsville after a visit with our dear friends Loren and Carrie Wisehart and their 3 little ones. We had a great time there. We are especially thankful for their generosity towards us over the last many, many years. They have been supporters of the Kyiv mission for a long time, even back to the days when we were students and all we could afford to do was pray.
Monday I was in Knoxville all day with various little tasks like getting car insurance for our car since the current policy expired on Monday. The Buckleys helped with that as did they treat me to lunch. Lena was back at the fort pounding away at the keyboard trying to finish most of her work for her last MBA class, strategic management.
While I was returning from Knoxville, one of the back car windows broke and wouldn't go back up. So I had a nice drive home and then the car had to be repaired. The same thing happened to this car in January. Meanwhile, on Tuesday, we enjoyed some government bureaucrats (who were very nice actually) and the car deed/title was transferred to me. I also enjoyed being on hold with the Social Security Administration. Lena's magic SSI number has yet to arrive and the website says to call this number if it doesn't arrive within three weeks after entry to the US. So I call 5 weeks later only to be told that the operator knows nothing and I have to visit the local office to find out anything. I am just not sure why the website doesn't say that. By the time I got off hold, the local office was closed already.
That evening we went shopping to get our minds' off the day surgery. The surgery was Wednesday morning. Everything went well. Everyone was very nice. It seemed most hospital people had some sort of Christian faith and it showed. Four people came from Laurel church as did my parents. Mike Buckley helped me find a wireless spot so as soon as I talked to the doctor after the surgery, I was skyping with Lena's sister in Zhytomir to give the family the update.
Unfortunately, we have to return to the hospital today for another matter and it's going to be hard on Lena. It's incredibly hot here (close to 40C) but thankfully there is air conditioning.
Lena has basically finished her class and now we are just looking for her to recover and will start making our way to Abilene. Classes start on August 27.
I still have a lot of thank you notes to write. I am getting way behind. People are just being too nice!!
Monday I was in Knoxville all day with various little tasks like getting car insurance for our car since the current policy expired on Monday. The Buckleys helped with that as did they treat me to lunch. Lena was back at the fort pounding away at the keyboard trying to finish most of her work for her last MBA class, strategic management.
While I was returning from Knoxville, one of the back car windows broke and wouldn't go back up. So I had a nice drive home and then the car had to be repaired. The same thing happened to this car in January. Meanwhile, on Tuesday, we enjoyed some government bureaucrats (who were very nice actually) and the car deed/title was transferred to me. I also enjoyed being on hold with the Social Security Administration. Lena's magic SSI number has yet to arrive and the website says to call this number if it doesn't arrive within three weeks after entry to the US. So I call 5 weeks later only to be told that the operator knows nothing and I have to visit the local office to find out anything. I am just not sure why the website doesn't say that. By the time I got off hold, the local office was closed already.
That evening we went shopping to get our minds' off the day surgery. The surgery was Wednesday morning. Everything went well. Everyone was very nice. It seemed most hospital people had some sort of Christian faith and it showed. Four people came from Laurel church as did my parents. Mike Buckley helped me find a wireless spot so as soon as I talked to the doctor after the surgery, I was skyping with Lena's sister in Zhytomir to give the family the update.
Unfortunately, we have to return to the hospital today for another matter and it's going to be hard on Lena. It's incredibly hot here (close to 40C) but thankfully there is air conditioning.
Lena has basically finished her class and now we are just looking for her to recover and will start making our way to Abilene. Classes start on August 27.
I still have a lot of thank you notes to write. I am getting way behind. People are just being too nice!!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home