prayerletters galleries teaching nivky uec links our blog internship

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Nashvegas is becoming home

We have now been in Nashville for more than two weeks. Seems like much longer, or maybe that we never left. For the personal update, we have been trying to get settled. I supposed that's rather vague, but it's the best phrase I have for what we have been doing. It means finding our financial documents and making certain everything is clear in that arena, paying bills, changing budgets, trying to figure out doctor bills and finding a Nashville doctor, cold calling chiropractors, applying for jobs, applying for lots of jobs, being frustrated by the job process, being uncertain about the hiring process, wondering what to do about the application process, visiting friends, friends not having time to visit with us, us being too busy to visit, Lena practicing driving on the interstate, having a flat tire, wondering what to do about the strange noises the car makes, applying for jobs, wondering about what to do. Unpacking, but not too much since we are going to move again in the next month or so. (Currently, we are staying with the Prills. Quite hospitable those Prills are.)

I suppose most who have any interest are interested in the job hunt. But that is the area I am most reluctant to report about. There are some possibilities, some hopes, some dreams. Some interviews. When something concrete is known, we will announce it. One very strong lead has been delayed for some time and I am not sure to wait for it or not. I am also looking into Nashville area PhD programs.

We have also realized we have to buy another car. Or buy a car since the first one was given to us by my parents. Any thoughts on that end? Something that will last and run. We are thinking a Honda Civic or Accord. An older one. It's for Lena to drive.

Dave Wagner is also helping to heal our old computer. We are still figuring that out.

We went shopping for a firmer mattress last night. Yes, our life is filled with excitement. Last Friday we had an enjoyable dinner with the Wisehart clan up from Huntsville. And the Kirbys called this week. Another pleasure.

The Prills Nordictrac was delivered and set up this week. I need to go there and use it instead of typing. The calorie expenditure is vastly different.

Then, of course, there were the Ukrainian elections. The former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko came in with a surprising gain in parliamentary seats and it looks like she will return to her old office. Now, two of the old "orange" parties could form a government and possibly drag the government out of its year-long hibernation. Lytvin, former parliament speaker, and his party made it into the parliament but the Socialists didn't. But who knows what Lytvin believes? Anyone have a clue? Should be some exciting news in the next few months from Kyiv.

As for the American elections next year. Could we stop talking about until about August of next year? I think we would all be a lot happier. It's sort of like this effort to sell Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving. Please, don't buy any of that stuff. Just wait. It only encourages the stores to start even earlier. Can we have just a little respect for Thanksgiving, America's greatest and most original holiday?

1 Comments:

Blogger Malsteem said...

Chris,
I doubt you remember me. I am mike J, I was friend of Wiseheart, and a roomate of Kirby for a while. It is good to see your blog.
-M

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home