Holy Friday
Today is Holy Friday because we celebrate Easter this Sunday. Preparations are in full swing all across the city. Eggs are being dyed with dyes from onion skins, the Paskha Easter bread is being baked, and Easter baskets are being prepared to take to churches tomorrow night to receive a splash of holy water from an Orthodox priest. Our church is having a combined Sunday assembly at 3:00PM, and it will be the last time we see many people until the fall.
I had my English class again last night. A new student, Lyuba, came. She's apparently from a religious background. She told us her parents don't let them watch TV or wear makeup. She travels 1:45 minutes to get to her university each day.
I have been fighting a cold all week and I think it's winning. Everyday I think I am better, but today it seems it seeks revenge for those days of victory. I ran out of those fancy zinc pills which have saved me several times from developing a bad cold. Lena if fine, though, studying away for the GMAT. She takes it on July 28.
For those following the Ukrainian news, here's a great story on what the new president is doing with the old president's very expensive office furniture. It seems the old Ukrainian president furnished his office with items valued at over $2 million. There are some nice pictures too.
The main news of the week has been the National Bank's decision to strengthen the currency. It's trading on the street at 4.95 UAH to the dollar. Earlier in the year it was trading at 5.30. Of course, that means everything costs more for us and anyone else who gets their salary in dollars. It was done in part to slow inflation. The exchange rate had been relatively the same for several years even though the dollar has significantly declined in value.
I had my English class again last night. A new student, Lyuba, came. She's apparently from a religious background. She told us her parents don't let them watch TV or wear makeup. She travels 1:45 minutes to get to her university each day.
I have been fighting a cold all week and I think it's winning. Everyday I think I am better, but today it seems it seeks revenge for those days of victory. I ran out of those fancy zinc pills which have saved me several times from developing a bad cold. Lena if fine, though, studying away for the GMAT. She takes it on July 28.
For those following the Ukrainian news, here's a great story on what the new president is doing with the old president's very expensive office furniture. It seems the old Ukrainian president furnished his office with items valued at over $2 million. There are some nice pictures too.
The main news of the week has been the National Bank's decision to strengthen the currency. It's trading on the street at 4.95 UAH to the dollar. Earlier in the year it was trading at 5.30. Of course, that means everything costs more for us and anyone else who gets their salary in dollars. It was done in part to slow inflation. The exchange rate had been relatively the same for several years even though the dollar has significantly declined in value.
1 Comments:
Hmmm. I wonder how much I could get for my furniture when I have a yard sale before my move to Texas....
Post a Comment
<< Home