Calls from the Other Side
Sunday night, Victoria and Kenneth Kirby called a talked for a long time over an internet phone. Tonight, I called my mom and then she called me. I don't talk to people in the USA very often (and actually I don't talk to Americans very often). It's usually a little shocking when I do. I guess I get in my little world of UkrEnglRussish and when I do talk with an American, something odd happens in my head. Usually, for the first few minutes, it feels like someone else is talking and I am listening in on their conversation. Then I finally realize it's me talking. Then I start wondering "Is that me talking? I don't usually talk like that? Why do I feel like I am speaking in a foreign language?" Even though I am not perfectly fluent in Russian and don't have a very developed second language personality, there is the part of me that isn't quite comfortable in speaking with native speakers of English. What an odd thing.
Today we ventured out to the baby market and tried to find a baby blanket for little Polina. Not much to choose from and prices are about US prices, mostly stuff from Poland or really poor quality Ukrainian stuff. We both worked at the Center quite a bit and I had a long talk about this church problem we are facing. Lena took her GMAT simulation.
Since many people worked on Saturday, today and tomorrow are holidays. The Center is working though. Guess I will have to cheer up the employees since I have forced them to work on the much-loved Constitution Day.
Today we ventured out to the baby market and tried to find a baby blanket for little Polina. Not much to choose from and prices are about US prices, mostly stuff from Poland or really poor quality Ukrainian stuff. We both worked at the Center quite a bit and I had a long talk about this church problem we are facing. Lena took her GMAT simulation.
Since many people worked on Saturday, today and tomorrow are holidays. The Center is working though. Guess I will have to cheer up the employees since I have forced them to work on the much-loved Constitution Day.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home