prayerletters galleries teaching nivky uec links our blog internship

Monday, December 26, 2005

The Day Before

Today we prepared for departure. Usually, those days are quite hectic. We had already done most of the shopping so it wasn't as bad as usual. After 10 years, I have finally figured out that you can't do everything the day before you leave--especially when we have to leave our apartment at 4:30AM for our 6:30 flight. Besides clearing up some left over UEC matters, one outstanding point related to the kind of Ukrainian visa I will apply for still needed to be answered before we left. We at least wanted to try to find out something. So Lena called around but that was hopeless. Then, we went to the office where she had gone before on consultations of this kind. Of course, the office had moved. And they only answer questions at that place on Tuesday from 11-1, Wednesdays from 2-4, and Thursdays for a couple of hours. Our search for answers continues. The only office that seemed to be working in this department was an office that apparently governs the kinds of seals and stamps businesses use. That's serious business in Ukraine so I was glad to see that office is still working.

Before being disappointed by the Ukrainian government, we had a nice lunch with Oleg who is hopefully moving back to Kyiv from Uzhgorod, a city on the Hungarian border. The first place we went to eat was so crowded with such a long line we left and went to another. It too was crowded. I found a table and waited for them. But it was pretty hopeless trying to get more than one dish at this place since the lines were slow and long. We did have a good talk, though, and accidentally ran into Oksana and Anya today and were able to wish more people an enjoyable New Year.

So I think we are packed and ready to go. There's still much to do in America. I just got a request from my parent's church to preach this Sunday, so I guess I'll be preaching New Year's Day. I hope I am awake. I have never preached asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home