2006 Begins
The holidays have finally passed for us. This year, since Lena and I missed US Christmas, we had a family dinner on Saturday, exhanged gifts, and then had some family over for a New Year's Eve party. It was all quite odd in many ways since we had never done something like that. Fortunately, all the gifts worked out and it was nice to have a family meal together. We even ate from china!! Then, one of my friends from high school came by (she is 01cent who left a comment last post) and we caught up on a year of life. Then, the relatives started showing up, and I started boiling hot dogs. I know it may sound odd to some but I love American hot dogs. I don't think I ever really ate them when I lived in America, but since I have confronted Ukrainian hot dogs on a number of occasions, I have grown in respect for the American weiner. Anyway, the hot dogs, our second Christmas leftovers, Ukrainian olivye salad, and other typical party items covered a table and two counters. As the party started to die down (most left well before midnight), another high school friend dropped in with her three children--one of whom is 14! And I am concerned about being capable and ready to have our first....
The party ended with few complications and a game of Phase 10 that stopped half way through. I taught Sunday school and preached twice on Sunday. It was pretty tiring--I seem to still have some jet lag. I'm thankful for the long talk tonight with Loren, an old friend from Lipscomb.
One of the things that I can't really explain about being a missionary is the different kinds of support people provide. There are those who give money, those who pray, those who make well-timed phone calls, those who loan us their car, those who let us show up at their house and stay there as if it were our home, and those who give in other caring ways. Without all this support, the missionary endeavors of myself and the many thousands like me would not be possible. So if you haven't made a New Year resolution yet, consider resolving to be a strong link in the support network of a missionary. I'm certain that you have gifts that are needed and can be used by some missionary out there. I am thankful for our network, for this web of friends--of brothers and sisters--who have stood with me for more than 9 years. Just today we received encouraging news from old Lipscomb and grad school friends, Jonathan and Lisa Moore. Though it's been too long since I have seen them, we are truly thankful for their partnership in ministry. And for many others . . . . .
Enjoy this New Year. Know that the Lord is enthroned above the waters. He is king forever.
We are hoping to see Narnia on Monday. We are excited though I am prepared for that "well, the book is better" feeling.
The party ended with few complications and a game of Phase 10 that stopped half way through. I taught Sunday school and preached twice on Sunday. It was pretty tiring--I seem to still have some jet lag. I'm thankful for the long talk tonight with Loren, an old friend from Lipscomb.
One of the things that I can't really explain about being a missionary is the different kinds of support people provide. There are those who give money, those who pray, those who make well-timed phone calls, those who loan us their car, those who let us show up at their house and stay there as if it were our home, and those who give in other caring ways. Without all this support, the missionary endeavors of myself and the many thousands like me would not be possible. So if you haven't made a New Year resolution yet, consider resolving to be a strong link in the support network of a missionary. I'm certain that you have gifts that are needed and can be used by some missionary out there. I am thankful for our network, for this web of friends--of brothers and sisters--who have stood with me for more than 9 years. Just today we received encouraging news from old Lipscomb and grad school friends, Jonathan and Lisa Moore. Though it's been too long since I have seen them, we are truly thankful for their partnership in ministry. And for many others . . . . .
Enjoy this New Year. Know that the Lord is enthroned above the waters. He is king forever.
We are hoping to see Narnia on Monday. We are excited though I am prepared for that "well, the book is better" feeling.
2 Comments:
The book is better, but the movie is well worth seeing. The only two cases I've seen where the movie improves on the book is Hunt for Red October and LOTR.
See you Sunday.
Bring your own voice for Aslan...
Post a Comment
<< Home