prayerletters galleries teaching nivky uec links our blog internship

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Weekending

The weekend was very much a weekend--just sort of slips by and on Monday, you wonder where it went. Grocery shopping on Saturday, Oleg's weekly visit. We finished season 3 of 24. I loved Jack's emotional breakdown at the end. Sunday I preached on what it means to be spiritual. Lena's mother came from Zhytomyr for the church service. Then, there was a debate about where to eat lunch. After the McDonald's on the river was so packed you could barely see where you were going, we walked to the huge Puzata Khata at Kontraktova Ploshad. It was also quite crowded. Nastya and Oleg went with us. Lena and her mom went on to a Christian bookstore after lunch but I headed home to begin preparing the evening meal. It seems that we go from one meal to the next, or you end up grunging.

I bought some chicken from a trailer-like vendor on the side of the street, some carrots from a lady selling them on the sidewalk, and some peas from kiosk vendor. Add that to some frozen cauliflower, milk, butter, onion, broth, etc., and you get chicken pot pie. I have found a great pie crust recipe that doesn't require shortening (since we really can't get it here) but is quite nice. It was the first time I had made chicken pot pie and I was pleased with the result.

David wanted to meet again on Monday but I had a meeting so Lena had to go. David usually brings good news but then a little work. We received funds for buying a microwave for the staff office so we are happy about that. I got confused and thought that I was meeting with someone else. I showed up and saw someone else in the library and realized my meeting was actually with someone else. I guess I am going to have to get one of them there Blackberries or palm pilots to keep all this straight. At least maybe a watch to start with.

We were invited tonight to dinner with Jana and Greg Perry and Tarasyuk, who works with World Wide Youth Camps in Donetsk. It was a lovely meal (mostly because I didn't have to cook and there were no dishes to wash!). Nice, fun conversation. They were in Donetsk for some kind of training retreat and are heading back Thursday.

Finally, this Sunday Lena and I made our announcement. After 11 years of ministry here (for me, at least), we have decided it's time to begin the next phase of life and will return to the States as soon as Lena's immigration process is concluded. It should be in the summer but could be a little later, but probably not earlier. We will certainly not leave before June but it could be well later. Depends on Uncle Sam and God. Thankfully, no matter what, we know God is stronger than Uncle Sam!!

We are moving to Abilene, Texas, so I can study at Abilene Christian University. Our friend Joe Stephenson (and one-time Kyiv resident) teaches there now in the English department. Lena is hopefully going to get a job while there, and I will pursue either an MDiv or an MA. I am not exactly certain what is next. Most likely (my feeling now at least) is that I will pursue a PhD in either intercultural studies or religion with an emphasis in church history and world religions.

We are glad the church is strong enough to be able to grow and flourish without us! We are also thankful Lera and Vitaly have agreed to lead the Center in our absence. I will join the UEC board when we finally move to the US.

We hope all our supporters already know this. Many we talked to personally over the holidays and everyone was sent a letter in February. If you have any questions, please email us. Pray for us as we make this transition and as we wait for US immigration bureaucrats to stamp our documents.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Some news about your relocation:) I hope God supports you through all you still have to do. And will miss you, of course. Texas is great, at least it's warm:)

Moving to other things: hand over the pie crust recipe, Chris!:) And the chicken pot pie one, too, I guess:)

Thanks!

1:21 PM  
Blogger yevpak said...

may the Lord bless you in your new directions!!! thank you very much for all the work, sacrifies and dedication to nivky and UEC through so many years!!! we will definitely miss you!!!

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home