prayerletters galleries teaching nivky uec links our blog internship

Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Weekend

We've been having lots of thunderstorms this week. Strange for a Kyiv summer, actually. We think we have finally recovered from the Laurel team and are finally starting to think about new things. This coming week, all the students will finish their exams and begint to depart the city. Others will start their summer vacations which means Kyiv will become a much quieter place.

We spent Saturday night with Oksana and Oleg. Since Monday is a holiday (Holy Trinity Day), Oleg has a three-day weekend and came to Kyiv. Lena took a simulated GMAT on Saturday before we met them and I worked on my Principles of Church Planting class. I am getting a little frustrated with this class. The videos I have to watch often don't have sound on them and the notes I was given to follow don't always correspond to what the instructor is saying. And then there is this whole thing of constantly disagreeing with the books we are assigned to read. The modernists seem to have the day in church planting circles. Not that I really want the postmoderns to win, it just seems that there should be some different kind of thinking done in this area, rather that just demographics, group dynamics, and team management. Seems planting a church shouldn't be like starting a McDonalds franchise.

The English class I have referred to before on this blog still presses on. Several of the good students have had to stop coming and a few more have come on board. They are all at such different levels it's difficult to know what to do with them at times. A couple of them, especially, seem to think they never need to study, rarely get an answer right, but love to tell other people the "right" answer which of course is the wrong answer and then somehow I have to regain control of the madness and try to make sure everyone understands the right answer. Make sense? Pray for me on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am going to this week introduce reading texts from the Gospel of John. Pray the group responds well to this change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home