Back from the Sinai
I left Blogland and Lena and I went to the desert for a week. Actually, we went to the Sinai Peninsula, part of Egypt, where the Hebrews hung out for 40 years. Unbelievably barren but it just so happens that some of the best corral reefs in the world come right up to the edge of Red Sea beach. It was our third family vacation to Egypt and we just stayed at the hotel the whole week. I think I was the only American there. There were about 150 Italians, 50 or so Germans, maybe that many Slavs (Ukrainians, Russians, Poles, and Byelorussians) and a few people from the UK and Egypt. The hotel staff always spoke to me in German. Guess they knew of my family roots going back to Switzerland in the 18th-century. We did have some fun watching the World Cup on the big screen with all the Italians. They do take their football seriously.
Since this desert has not had any real inhabitants except for the Jews for 40 years and the Bedouin nomads, there's not much to do there except swim with the vast array of tropical fish. It is quite breathtaking. Sort of climbing into one of those huge aquariums and just start swimming around.
Egypt also has its own version of Montezuma's revenge and it always seems to find me. No throwing up this year, so I consider it a success. Only about one day of genuine stomach pain but I am almost fully recovered.
We did do some reading while there. I read a book about Vermeer. Not much is known about this 17th century painter but somehow I read a biography of his life. I believe him to be one of the truly great painters of all time. I guess I have seen about half of the 24 or so paintings that have been identified and he truly captivates. I also read a little book on how C. S. Lewis speaks to both the modern and postmodern world. Always enjoy reading someone enthusiastic about Lewis. And I am still working on Anna Karenina. They were hunting today. It's hard to stay interested when it's so hot outside.
And our hot water did come back on while we were away.
Since this desert has not had any real inhabitants except for the Jews for 40 years and the Bedouin nomads, there's not much to do there except swim with the vast array of tropical fish. It is quite breathtaking. Sort of climbing into one of those huge aquariums and just start swimming around.
Egypt also has its own version of Montezuma's revenge and it always seems to find me. No throwing up this year, so I consider it a success. Only about one day of genuine stomach pain but I am almost fully recovered.

We did do some reading while there. I read a book about Vermeer. Not much is known about this 17th century painter but somehow I read a biography of his life. I believe him to be one of the truly great painters of all time. I guess I have seen about half of the 24 or so paintings that have been identified and he truly captivates. I also read a little book on how C. S. Lewis speaks to both the modern and postmodern world. Always enjoy reading someone enthusiastic about Lewis. And I am still working on Anna Karenina. They were hunting today. It's hard to stay interested when it's so hot outside.
And our hot water did come back on while we were away.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home