prayerletters galleries teaching nivky uec links our blog internship

Friday, April 13, 2007

Ministry Update, Political Review, and Buying Ice Cream

I have been reading Augustine's Confessions. So I thought I would do some confessing. I completely forgot about a meeting with someone today. Completely. I had reviewed what Friday would be like in my mind and this meeting didn't make it there for some reason. Fortunately, the person wasn't too upset. We meet twice a week anyway, but I still felt terrible.
Tonight the Student Night was back in focus. I made a new kind of oatmeal cookies that doesn't require you to blend the sugar and butter at the beginning. For the last several weeks, each time I am making cookies I seem to end up having a wonderful conversation with someone in the kitchen. It happened again tonight. So it seems this cookie ministry is taking on this other side, as a time God uses to bring two people together for holy talk. Isn't God creative?

I worked the UEC reception desk so the staff could work with the students. The library was very busy tonight. I was delighted to see so many Christian books being checked out and returned. It's rewarding to see your dream of a Christian library living, breathing, serving the Kyiv community.

I was also blessed this week when two people I have been meeting with said, in one way or the other, that our meetings had significantly helped them, blessed their lives, or helped them make better, more Godly decisions. In ministry, it's rare that we get this kind of feedback. And I got it twice this week. So I am very thankful for those words of affirmation. We also had a very good small group meeting this week even though several people couldn't be there.

Of course, Ukraine remains in the throes of political turmoil. Everything is peaceful so far. Sometimes there are major demonstrations downtown with opposing camps only separated by a few meters. But Ukrainians are generally peaceful--so far so good on that front. The Constitutional Court will begin reviewing the president's decision on Tuesday. I think they are coming up with every reason in the world to delay making a decision. Every politician out there has been commenting and cajoling. But we are still in a stalemate politically.

And now for the ice cream. Earlier in the week I had a great craving for ice cream. Since I am lactose intolerant, this craving is not a familiar one. It was not a craving for something fancy like the marvelous gelato sold at one place downtown. Rather, the craving called for something cheap, something common. So on my way to the UEC, I stopped in a little Ukrainian fast food place. "I would like a cone of ice cream, please." Answer: None (literally translated). "None? That's it? Just--"there's none"? Answer: There's none. "So, there's none. (implying why don't you explain why you don't have it since you have it on the menu and there is an ice cream machine right behind you). Answer: Well, we don't have any. You'll have to wait 30 minutes or so if you want some.

Next place. I looked for the little kiosks that sell various things--from chewing gum to beer to M&Ms to mineral water--and for an ice cream sign. First place didn't have any. Second place didn't have any even though there were several signs with prices. Next place, YES they have it. I was told it costs 1.20 hryvnya (24 US cents). OK--let me have it!! The middle age lady imprisoned in this "Dairy Kiosk" offering cheese, sour cream, milk, and lemon ice cream. Lemon ice cream. Actually, something like what we called a brown cow but coated in a lemon-flavored glaze. With disappointment mounting, I asked if there were no other kind since there was a sign that indicated the chocolate covered Kreshatik ice cream was available. Answer: no, we don't have chocolate. Only vanilla. "OK, great, give me vanilla." She hands me the vanilla ice cream chocolate-covered.

In an unrelated incident, I was paying a bill yesterday and wanted to pay part in cash and part on a bank card. I was told that was impossible. I explained that I had done it several times before. Answer: But you need two bills and you only have one. You have to have two bills to pay that way. I stood in marked silence. It was like the Old West. Who will draw first? Who will dare break this gridlock? The worker then decided to go the insult route: "Don't you know how to write?" I was dumbfounded. Why did this lady just insult me? Finally, she explained that I needed to take this little piece of paper on the counter and fill it out to create a second bill. She eventually decided to help me out, and I was able to pay the bill.

My life is cross-cultural communication.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home