Ah, the Weekend
The weekend has come and almost gone. We had lots of guests. Saturday morning, Lena went to Zhitomir to get her international passport. Her last name is now, officially, "Lovingood." We hadn't planned to change it seemed several things in life would be easier if she had my last name. She will always be Morozova to me, though. Meanwhile, I prepared supper for Oleg Skutsenya, a dear friend who has worked for about a year in western Ukraine, in Uzhgorod near the border. We had a long talk about his life and the many difficulties he faces in being there, and away from his Christian friends in Kyiv. As we were deep in conversation, Nastya and Igor Ouglev called and wanted to drop by. So we all enjoyed our banana-strawberry-cream smoothies together. They watched a movie while Oleg and I finished the conversation.
Sunday morning, the UEC staff visited the Vinogradar church to make a presentation abou the Center. It's a relatively new church, about 20 people, mostly teenagers. Several people seemed interested. I was a little shocked to be asked to lead the opening prayer and decided to pray in Russian. Short and sweet. Sergiy gave our presentation and Lera passed out brochures. We then enjoyed tea and cake with the church afterwards. We also had Bible class. It's different from Nivki. It felt very much like being in my parents' church since they sang similar hymns and the service followed almost the same order.
Lena's mom is coming to spend the night and attend the class tomorrow.
Lot's of controversy in the Ukrainian government. The head of the Donetsk regional council was arrested this week for conspiracy to commit murder and other asundries. Of course, Yanukovych claims foul. It seems all we get are scandals. Usually over a murder. Someday, hopefully, they will be able to move on and govern.
Jonathan Shaub got some good news. His last wound was closed up on Friday and won't have to have surgery for several more weeks.
Time for church again. Since I buy cookies every week, I have to leave a little earlier. Usually, I buy 2 kilograms (about 4.5 pounds). One is chocolate and another something else. I take a bag of peanuts and eat those since I am trying to stop eating cookies, cakes, etc. I have gone down one pants size and hope to go down at least one more. But those cookies just seem to call out my name........
Sunday morning, the UEC staff visited the Vinogradar church to make a presentation abou the Center. It's a relatively new church, about 20 people, mostly teenagers. Several people seemed interested. I was a little shocked to be asked to lead the opening prayer and decided to pray in Russian. Short and sweet. Sergiy gave our presentation and Lera passed out brochures. We then enjoyed tea and cake with the church afterwards. We also had Bible class. It's different from Nivki. It felt very much like being in my parents' church since they sang similar hymns and the service followed almost the same order.
Lena's mom is coming to spend the night and attend the class tomorrow.
Lot's of controversy in the Ukrainian government. The head of the Donetsk regional council was arrested this week for conspiracy to commit murder and other asundries. Of course, Yanukovych claims foul. It seems all we get are scandals. Usually over a murder. Someday, hopefully, they will be able to move on and govern.
Jonathan Shaub got some good news. His last wound was closed up on Friday and won't have to have surgery for several more weeks.
Time for church again. Since I buy cookies every week, I have to leave a little earlier. Usually, I buy 2 kilograms (about 4.5 pounds). One is chocolate and another something else. I take a bag of peanuts and eat those since I am trying to stop eating cookies, cakes, etc. I have gone down one pants size and hope to go down at least one more. But those cookies just seem to call out my name........
4 Comments:
Do you mean to say NASTYA OUGLEV? Did Igor get married, and we don't know about this? Who is the bride? At least, I hope I can assume she is still a bride, and they have not been married for several years with kids...
I have no idea why I mentioned Igor's last name. They aren't married!!! I guess I thought some blog readers might know Igor but not Nastya. Sorry for that confusion. Glad to know someone still reads the blog.
Purchasing is not the moment of temptation. The temptation comes as they sit and glare at me during the post-church tea/cookie time. They mock me from their bowls but to tell the truth, normally, I take refuge in my peanuts and do not yield.
I really got hooked on pistachios when I was in Kyiv. Besides being more healthy than cookies, you end up eating less because of the labor involved.
However, dealing with and disposing of the shells may not be ideal for a church gathering....
When they come in, maybe you could bring some fresh fruits.
Post a Comment
<< Home