prayerletters galleries teaching nivky uec links our blog internship

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Poland




We went to Poland because of Ukraine's law about registering visas. For about a year, we have been trying to figure out a way around this. Many years ago, registering foreigners was a nightmare. Then, they got rid of it, and life became easy. Then, they decided you can stay for 6 months and not have to register. Then, they changed it to 90 days. That meant I had to leave the country every 90 days to re-register myself by crossing the border. We hired a lawyer to get the UEC ready to register me and after a lot of paperwork and money, we were told that they can register me for 6 months but I still have to cross the border every 90 days. Well, we have also tried to do it as a family member in Zhytomir and that may at some point work out but I have the wrong kind of visa in order to get the equivalent of a Ukrainian green card. I'm on a private visa. So, we then decided to ask the passport control people on the train this time. He was unbelievably nice. I don't think a passport control person has ever been nice. But he talked to us like a friend. He told us it was a mess and the best thing to do was either get that green card or cross the border every 90 days. He even gave us some hints on easy ways to cross the border. So for now, I guess I will be crossing the border every 90 days or I will have to get with some organization that might figure out how to register me or the law will change once the new parliament starts to work. Who knows?

Anyway, that's why we went to Poland. And we love Krakow. It's a smaller town, lots of old buildings, and very Europe-esque. And we love to eat there as these pics show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home