Snow......
It's been snowing quite a bit the last couple of days. Nothing compared to the New York snow, but several inches each day. It's beautiful to look at through the window but walking anyway is not very fun.
Yesterday the Kyiv City Council, with pressure from Yulia Tymoshenko's party, voted to reduce the recent increase in utility rates. At the beginning of the year, all the bills one pays related to the apartment went up 330%. Now, they have reduced that to around 200%. The mayor agrees to the decision. I just don't understand why the mayor, who proposed the 330% increase, didn't realize that this was going to be a political nightmare and that gradual but regular increases make a lot more sense.
I had a meeting yesterday with a young believer who is struggling with the content of one of his university classes. The teacher on a weekly basis makes fun of Christianity and attacks the Bible in a rather disrespectful manner. This week the theme is: Paul was gay, didn't you know? And how could anyone with any sense not see that? It's not the first time I have talked with people who had this teacher. The young man wants to meet regularly, and others may be joining him.
After leaving the UEC last night, Lena and I went shopping. This time, we remembered our 5% discount card, and gathered up some food. We paid $1.25 for a very small head of iceberg lettuce. It was great, though. Lena was wanting a sandwich. This year during our visit to America Lena got more used to the American sandwich obsession. Americans really do eat a lot of sandwiches (if you count hamburgers, it's even more). And Ukrainians eat a lot of soup. So I guess cosmically things get balanced out.
We also watched the new Pink Panther movie. I highly recommend it. But you have to be in a Pink Panther sort of mood.
Please continue to pray for Natalya's healing. So far, church members have donated 9,000 hryvnya which is about $1,800. At least one person in America has given some money, so yesterday Natalya called and ordered the medicine. When you have chemotherapy treatments here, you have to call and order the medicine yourself.
Yesterday the Kyiv City Council, with pressure from Yulia Tymoshenko's party, voted to reduce the recent increase in utility rates. At the beginning of the year, all the bills one pays related to the apartment went up 330%. Now, they have reduced that to around 200%. The mayor agrees to the decision. I just don't understand why the mayor, who proposed the 330% increase, didn't realize that this was going to be a political nightmare and that gradual but regular increases make a lot more sense.
I had a meeting yesterday with a young believer who is struggling with the content of one of his university classes. The teacher on a weekly basis makes fun of Christianity and attacks the Bible in a rather disrespectful manner. This week the theme is: Paul was gay, didn't you know? And how could anyone with any sense not see that? It's not the first time I have talked with people who had this teacher. The young man wants to meet regularly, and others may be joining him.
After leaving the UEC last night, Lena and I went shopping. This time, we remembered our 5% discount card, and gathered up some food. We paid $1.25 for a very small head of iceberg lettuce. It was great, though. Lena was wanting a sandwich. This year during our visit to America Lena got more used to the American sandwich obsession. Americans really do eat a lot of sandwiches (if you count hamburgers, it's even more). And Ukrainians eat a lot of soup. So I guess cosmically things get balanced out.
We also watched the new Pink Panther movie. I highly recommend it. But you have to be in a Pink Panther sort of mood.
Please continue to pray for Natalya's healing. So far, church members have donated 9,000 hryvnya which is about $1,800. At least one person in America has given some money, so yesterday Natalya called and ordered the medicine. When you have chemotherapy treatments here, you have to call and order the medicine yourself.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home